if you’ve noticed some water stains, mold, or even the dreaded drip-drip of a leak, it can be hard to pin point the cause. With the many layers and individual pieces that make up a roof, leaks can happen anywhere. However, there are a few main causes of leaks you can check first.
Top Causes of Roof Leaks
- Skylights can fail in many ways and are a major cause of leaking. Not only can the window seals fail, but they can block the flow of water off the roof, causing it to pool. The flashing, or what connects the skylight to the roof, can also be faulty and allow water in.
- Flashing is usually a thin piece of metal that is used to waterproof where two pieces of roof come together, or where a chimney, skylight, or pipe joins the roof. However, they are subject to weather damage and wind. They can also slide out of place over time, failing to protect vulnerable connections from water.
- Debris on your roof or in your gutters seems harmless, but is another cause of leaks. Debris, like branches and leaves, can cause water to pool around them, and soak into your roof. Debris in your gutters can also direct water to drain sideways allowing water to penetrate under slates and tiles.
- Damaged slates and tiles are generally the last reason your roof is leaking. However, especially old, cu, missing, or broken slates and tiles stop protecting your home from water. Walk around your house with some binoculars and make sure all your slates and tiles are there, flat, and intact.
- Sometimes, just the age of your roof can cause leaks. Older roofing materials can develop cracks, bubbles, tears, and shrinkage.
And the longer you have your roof, the faster they deteriorate. If you roof is over 20 years old, or if you have leaks, it might be time to replace.
- Finally, all it takes to create a leak is a single uncovered nail. All nails and nail holes should be covered in waterproofing material such as roofing cement. When doing maintenance on your roof, pay attention to how well the nails are covered as much as you can.
There are many other reasons your roof can leak, such as an improper roof slope. Because roofs leak in so many ways, be sure to call samuels industrial roofing experts for advice.